Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Vanity Makeover

It took me, no joke, nearly a year to get around to this project. You can read about my brainstorm post here, written on August 15, 2013. This is sooooo not me, but I guess that is just par for the course these days, and I'm learning to be OK with that. I did have fun doing it once I started, and that's what matters. 


I'm SO happy with the way this turned out! The precious lines and beautiful detail on this piece stand out so much more now. It was a bit of trial and error to get to the final product. I am no expert on furniture refurbishing, although I know a lot more now that I did when I started.

Here's the piece in it's original form...


I sanded it as best I could, particularly the vanity top. After taping the mirror all up (2 of the panels are original to the piece), it was time to prime and paint. The paint is Benjamin Moore Soft Chamois. Then I stained the top with a dark walnut color. I loved the stain so much that I decided to try out giving it an antique look by rubbing the stain in the cracks and wiping the excess. It really helps show off all of the detail in this piece.



I'm in love with the original hardware. Now this piece sits in B's future "big girl" room. All it needs is a skirted stool in a girly fabric!